Welcome to our section with the most in-depth solo female travel tips and advice to help you go on your next or your first solo trip.
In this page you’ll find all the resources we have on solo female travel, organized by topic so you can easily find what you are looking for. Scroll through and look for handy write-ups written by women who travel solo and from not only the collective experience of our team but of our large online community of solo female travelers.
Our Solo Female Travelers Online Community
Join our Solo Female Travelers community on Facebook, there are more than 300,000 members who can help out, inspire you, support you or cheer you on!
Our tours FOR women, BY women, Social travel for Solo travelers
Join one of our women-only, intimate journeys of a lifetime especially curated by our team. Meet like-minded women, make connections for life, go on luxury trips.
We all need a bit of inspiration to book that first solo trip as a woman or that next amazing vacation and in this section you will find all the examples and stories you’ll need.
- Women-only tour companies from around the world – Find your tribe on the right tour for you.
- Solo Female Travelers Documentary – we interviewed 27 women from 18 different countries to create a mini documentary with raw, candid, and inspiring footage that gives a behind the scenes look into the world of solo travel as a woman.
- The world’s most traveled woman – Audrey is most likely, the world’s most traveled woman, having visited all countries and regions across more than 50 years of travel, listen to her amazing story!
- Gifts for her – Find gift ideas for the solo female traveler in your life or fill your letter to Santa with ideas that will help make your travels lighter, smarter and better.
- Solo female travel quotes – We all need a bit of inspiration and this list of solo female travel quotes will do just that.
- Books for women – All the inspiration, encouragement and learnings from other women (and some men) in our curated list of books to read.
- Best Facebook travel groups to join – Looking to connect with like minded travel lovers? Facebook is a great place to find them and this is the only list of travel groups you need.
- Benefits of traveling alone – If you are still deciding whether traveling on your own will be worth it, we hope that this list of advantages of traveling alone will help you decide.
- Myths about traveling abroad solo and as a woman – The most common travel and solo travel myths, debunked with the experiences of dozens of travelers! Find the truth behind these misconceptions and a more authentic glimpse into the travel, and solo female travel experience.
- Why travel is important – Need reasons to travel? Check out this article to understand why travel is important in life.
- Funny vacation memes – Laugh out loud with these funny vacation memes every traveler will relate to.
- Funny travel quotes – Laugh out loud with the funniest and most relatable quotes about travel.
- Instagram travel quotes – Read these unique travel quotes perfect for sharing on social media.
- Short travel captions – Find the best short captions to pair with your amazing travel pics.
- Unique travel captions – Posting a travel photo? Choose the perfect Instagram travel caption from this list.
Where to go
Deciding where to go is the first step towards going on a trip, and in this section you’ll find all the suggestions you need.
- Best countries for first time solo travel – Looking to go on your first solo trip? We have compiled recommendations from our 5,000 respondent solo female travel survey in this article.
- Warm places to visit in December – Find your perfect warm destination for the last month of the year with our hand picked recommendations across the world.
- Warm places in December in the USA – Escape the cold that swipes over the northern parts of the country with these suggestions for warm places you can go to without leaving the US.
- Warm places to visit in February – For the solo female travelers chasing endless summer, here are places that remain warm in the classic northern hemisphere winter.
- Holidays for singles over 40 – Are you single and in your 40s? Do you want to travel but don’t have anyone to join you? Don’t let that stop you from that dream trip, we’re giving you the best holiday ideas for travelers just like you.
- Holidays for singles over 50 – A compilation of ideas for holidays to take as a single woman over 50, from retreats to educational tours or destinations that are just perfect for that season in your live.
- Best volunteer vacation programs – If volunteering abroad has been on your bucket list, here’s everything you need to know to find legit programs from ethical organizations and make a sustainable impact in local communities around the world.
- Best travel groups to join – The ultimate travel group list! There’s a travel group for every travel style, age range and community. Also, we recommend travel Facebook groups for tips and resources, and sites to find travel buddies.
- Countries that don’t celebrate Christmas – A list specifically created for those who prefer to avoid the Christmas season and spent it in a place where Christmas isn’t celebrated.
Solo Female Travel Destination Guides
In this section, we include all the destination-specific solo female travel tips. You will find travel tips, safety tips and useful articles and resources for the most popular solo female travel destinations.
- The solo female travelers guide to Barcelona – Everything you need to plan and go on a solo trip to Barcelona and Catalonia curated by Mar, who is a local.
- Barcelona & Costa Brava travel tips – Everything from travel tips to local customs, from tipping to music, and better understanding Catalonia and Catalans.
- Iceland travel tips for women – An extensive list of travel tips for your solo female trip to Iceland including things to know before the trip, music to get in the mood, books to read, movies to watch and more.
- Packing list for women visiting Iceland in winter – What to pack for your trip to Iceland, including a detailed list of clothing to wear and recommendations for brands we love and use.
- Tuscany travel tips – Find out all the essential information you need to know about before visiting Tuscany.
- Tuscany summer packing list – What to pack for your trip to Tuscany, including outfit ideas to blend in, packing tips and everything you should bear in mind.
- Amalfi Coast travel tips – Everything you need to know about the Amalfi Coast before visiting, including fun facts, foods to eat, books to read and useful information.
- Packing list for the Amalfi Coast – Practical packing tips and advice for a trip to the Amalfi Coast in the summer, including what not to bring.
- Venice travel tips – Everything you need to know before visiting Venice, with practical travel tips, movies to watch, foods to eat and more.
- Packing list for Venice – Packing tips and advice for Venice. What to bring for a summer trip and what to leave behind when exploring the Eternal city.
- Packing list for Morocco – Detailed packing list for a trip to Morocco in the spring and autumn with tips for what to bing and what to leave behind.
- Morocco travel tips – Everything you need to know about Morocco to better prepare yourself for a trip, from food to culture, useful facts and practicalities.
- Sudan travel tips – All the travel tips you need before traveling to Sudan, from a brief history to safety ad wellness, passport tips, food and fun facts.
- Sudan packing list – Detailed packing list for Sudan including packing tips and advice as well as a list of things to bring and those to leave behind.
- Solo female travel guide to South Korea – Everything you need to know before your trip to South Korea as a women traveling solo.
- Best wellness destinations in South Korea – From day spas in Seoul to Buddhist temple stays and ancient medicine retreats.
- Most beautiful places in South Korea – To get your bucket list going!
Solo Female Travel Preparation
Preparing for a solo trip can be daunting and stressful, it can also generate a lot of anxiety. On the other hand, the preparation phase is also one of excitement and anticipation for many solo female travelers. Below are several resources that can help you plan a solo trip.
- First time solo trip – Tips for the first time you travel solo, we got your back!
- Going to a bar or pub alone – tips for beginners – Tips for your first or next solo time at a bar, lounge or pub alone from the experts in our community and our team.
- Travel Planning guide – The most comprehensive travel planning resource you will find, with all the tools we, and the community, use to research and plan a trip. This is the only travel planning list you’ll need.
- Best travel insurance – Never leave the house without travel insurance! In this article you will find everything you need to know when choosing the right one and the insurance companies we recommend.
- 200+ Solo female travel safety tips – The most comprehensive list of tips and advice to stay safe when traveling solo, from safety in taxis and hotels to safety in the wild, in a hotel room and everywhere else.
- Road trip planning – Going on that solo road trip? Our road tripping guide is all you need to read to plan and go on the trip of a lifetime.
- How to save money for travel – We all want to travel more but financial constraints often put a damper on our plans. On this article, we will share strategies to save for travel and our tried and tested method.
- How to find free accommodation – Yes, it is indeed possible to not spend anything on accommodation when traveling, are you wondering how? Let us share our tips for finding free accommodation when traveling solo.
- Best language learning apps – As solo female travelers, being able to communicate with the locals is pretty useful and in this article you’ll find a list of the best language learning apps as well as comparisons and pros and cons.
- What to keep in your first aid kit – Do you pack a first aid kit when traveling? Here is a list of the most useful items to include in yours.
- Women only tours – A list of companies which offer tours for solo female travelers or women only.
- Genius travel packing hacks – To pack like a pro: faster, lighter and smarter. Our collection of hacks accumulated from years of travel and crowdsourced from our community.
- How to find travel buddies – Traveling solo rocks, we promise, but there is something exotic, adventurous and fun about finding a travel buddy to accompany some of your days of solo travel. There are also trips or times when you would rather have a travel friend to go with you. In this article you’ll find a list of platforms you can use to find someone to travel with.
- Tips for going to the beach alone – Find out what to do with your valuables, how to stay safe and suggestions for things to do so you don’t get bored.
- Solo travel vs. Group travel – Do you prefer to travel solo independently or in a group? Review the pros and cons of each travel style and choose which one fits you best.
- How to have safe sex traveling – Hope to have sex while traveling? This article has up to date information and helpful advice to make the most of your sexual experience in your travels while staying safe.
- Best self-defense tools for women – The best self-defense tools recommended by experts, which have low/no risk of self-harm, are easy to access and will help you prevent a dangerous situation or protect yourself in case of one during your solo trip.
- Best anti theft bags – The best anti-theft bags out there to keep your belongings safe while traveling.
- Hacks to save money on travel – Travel without breaking the bank with these expert tips to save money on travel.
- Expert long term travel tips – Traveling for more than 3 months? Follow these tips to make the most of your long term travel journey.
Making the Most of Your Solo Female Travels
- How to enjoy eating alone – Anxious about eating alone? Self-conscious and concerned about what others may think? Afraid you will be bored? We have all had these thoughts at least one and in this article you’ll learn everything you need to know to see these feelings in a different way and overcome them to actually enjoy and look forward to a solo meal.
- First time flying tips – If you are about to fly for the first time, you’ll find this article very useful.We have compiled extensive tips to make that first flight more comfortable and less stressful and will be telling you in detail what to expect.
- How to meet people when traveling solo – As a solo female traveler you will most likely want to meet other travelers and locals and in this article we will give you many suggestions to make that easier.
- How to take photos of yourself – Forget about ugly and clunky selfies and take our list of tips to take better photos of yourself when traveling solo onboard, you’ll be amazed at how much better your photos will be!
- Tips for staying in a hostel for the first time – Staying in a hostel can be an amazing travel experience. Check out this hostel surviving guide with essential tips to book the right hostel, pack smart and make the most of your stay.
- Hotel safety tips for travelers – A list of expert hotel safety tips for travelers that will make you feel comfortable and secure next time you stay in a hotel.
- Travel dating for solo female travelers: Apps and tips to stay safe – Travel dating apps have made it easier, safer and faster to meet people from all over the world. We have compiled a list of the best travel dating sites and some tips to keep you safe when dating abroad.
- Best travel apps for solo travelers – Make technology your ally to make the most of your trips. Here’s the ultimate list of the best solo travel apps out there.
- How to enjoy going to a concert alone: 20 tips for beginners – In this article you will find a list of tips for first time solo concert goers written from the vast experience of our community, including recommendations to stay safe and make the most of your experience.
Work & Travel resources
Want to work while you travel? Sounds like a dream right? It’s our reality – and it can totally be yours too!
While many of our members hold down full time jobs, and travel in their time off, many actually work while traveling. From jobs that allow you to travel the world, to building an online empire and working for yourself remotely.
There are a lot of ‘get rich quick’ schemes and scams, and dodgy ‘business opportunities’ designed to pull people in, dangling the promise of a ‘work while you travel’ lifestyle.
As online entrepreneurs who’ve been around the block, we can tell you that most of this is rubbish. Most courses and content on traveling and working at the same time are of zero value, and we hate it.
Thankfully, there are also some truly fabulous educational tools, resources, and courses out there that offer really high quality materials of substance and which can make the difference.
Our mission is to cut through the crap.
The following are the best, and most legitimate resources for working and traveling, personally vetted and actually used by us. Yes, that means we reached out to the course creators and asked them to let us test them before writing about them.
But before, a word of warning.
Working while traveling and making money online isn’t all beaches and cocktails – it’s hard work, and if you’re making the transition you should head in with your eyes wide open. But we would never change this for any other job, it is a rewarding career path with a chancing office view, from Antarctica to the Galapagos Islands!
Articles on Work and Travel
These articles have been written by us personally, and we have aimed to provide the most comprehensive, information packed resources possible. They are detailed, and in depth, typically 7,000 words + in length! We’re waging war against bland, boring content, and want to provide you with genuinely kick-ass information, that’s actually helpful.
Courses We LOVE and Recommend
Blogging Fastlane is a fantastic course by pro bloggers Tom and Anna from Adventure in You. They grew a business from nothing and now teach others how to. They have 70,000 members in their newsletter and are pro at monetizing their blog.
You can start with a free blogging course and see if this is for you first before you pay any money, maybe you’ll discover blogging is not really what you want. Join their FREE Blogging fastlane course.
Whether you want to teach English online or abroad, International TEFL and TESOL Training is the most complete resource to gain your certifications.
In terms of flexibility and value for money, their courses are hard to beat. Their most popular online courses are the 60-hour and 120-hour TEFL certificate courses.
Members of the Solo Female Travelers community get 10% OFF regular prices when applying for the courses here.