Travel is one of the best things we can do in life. It challenges us, makes us grow, gain self confidence and meet amazing people, among many other benefits. It is also one of the most popular kinds of Instagram posts, often accompanied by meaningful or inspiring travel quotes.
Whether you travel solo or in a group, travel will make you see and experience other cultures and ways of life, which will widen your perspective and contribute to your growth and wellness. It will also make you reflect in a way you don’t normally do in your daily routine.
One way to express these reflections and deep moments experienced through travel is through a good travel quote that describes feelings, sensations and experiences.
Not feeling inspired to come up with your own Instagram travel quote? Below are some of our favorites.
These are travel quotes you can add to your Instagram post and that touch all areas of travel including inspiration, experiences, wisdom, vacation, and life. Feel free to share them on Instagram and tag us, they’re perfect for a post, story or reel.
We also made a list with short travel captions and travel captions to pair with your stunning travel pics!
Inspirational travel quotes for Instagram
Fill your feed with wanderlust! These Instagram quotes will inspire you and make you plan your next adventure right away.
1. “A ship in a harbor is safe, but it is not what ships are built for.” – John A. Shedd
We weren’t created to live sedentary lifestyles and this quote reassures it.
2. “Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
There’s something truly enriching about going off the beaten path and trying something different. Sometimes, we follow what others do automatically, but there’s value in pausing and choosing to do something unique. Use this travel quote when travel takes you to unexpected places.
3. “Not until we are lost do we begin to find ourselves.” – Henry David Thoreau
This quote reminds us how the best happens on the other side of our comfort zone. Sometimes, we need to get lost and wander to find what truly matters to us.
4. “I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.” – Susan Sontag
This quote makes us want to cross off new countries from our bucket lists.
5. “Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body. But rather, to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming …. WOW what a ride.” – Mark Frost
We love this life and travel quote, it invites us to live life to the fullest and not worry about superficial things. Got a body, use it!
6. “Traveling is not something you’re good at. It’s something you do. Like breathing.” – Gayle Foreman
It doesn’t matter if you’re an expert or you’ve never traveled overseas, take the first step and go! You will figure out the rest throughout the journey, and definitely come back different.
7. “Sometimes, one day in a different place will give you more than 10 years of life at home.” – Anatole France
I am sure you agree with this quote. Day to day routine can be awfully repetitive and gray. A day in a completely new environment where your brain can’t rely on learned habits and customs will give so much value to your life and teach you lessons you wouldn’t have learned otherwise. And this is one of the greatest benefits of travel.
8. “The impulse to travel is one of the hopeful symptoms of life.” – Agnes Repplier
9. “Once a year go someplace you’ve never been before.” – Dalai Lama
Challenge accepted! Whether you travel solo or in a group trip, take the leap and do it! You will never regret it. Plus, refer to the previous travel quote for reasons why it’s important to extract ourselves from daily routine once in a while.
The Dalai Lama was also probably aiming for people finding themselves in the shoes of others or broadening their perspective with that of other parts of the world. It’s much harder to understand someone we have never met.
10. “Travel is about the gorgeous feeling of teetering in the unknown.” – Anthony Bourdain
Nothing compares to discovering a new place.
11. “Travel far enough, you meet yourself.” – David Mitchell
This quote inspires us to see new places and keep discovering ourselves in the journey.
12. “Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world.” – Gustave Flaubert
Travel humbles us and gives us a more complete picture of our world. Expand your world and you will immediately see how big and diverse it is.
13. “I am not the same, having seen the moon shine on the other side of the world.” – Mary Anne Radmacher
Undoubtedly, travel changes us.
14. “Take the time to put the camera away and gaze in wonder at what’s there in front of you.” – Erick Widman
15. “One’s destination is never a place but rather a new way of looking at things.” – Henry Miller
This quote talks about the way travel changes our perspective on almost everything in our lives. And also about how we may not need to travel very far to feel like we are in a completely different place if only we open our eyes to what is around us.
16. “We travel, some of us forever, to seek other states, other lives, other souls.” – Anaïs Nin
We travel seeking something, and we come back fulfilled.
17. “We wander for distraction, but we travel for fulfillment.” – Hilaire Belloc
Yes, we do! Travel makes our hearts full.
18. “We travel not to escape life, but for life not to escape us.” – Anonymous
That’s right. Some of the most exciting moments of our lives happen while traveling.
19. “Live life with no excuses, travel with no regret.” – Oscar Wilde
This is a great quote from the revolutionary Oscar Wilde urges us to understand that we only have one life and we should make the most of it.
20. “To move, to breathe, to fly, to float, to gain all while you give, to roam the roads of lands remote: To travel is to live.” – Hans Christian Andersen
21. “Time flies. It’s up to you to be the navigator.” – Robert Orben
Life is short and there’s so much to see. So, don’t waste your time, and make time to do what you love.
22. “There’s a sunrise and a sunset every single day, and they’re absolutely free. Don’t miss so many of them.” – Jo Walton
Love this quote because it reminds us of the beauty we can find in nature. Of course, sunsets seem more special in a faraway place, but this quote also talks about having a traveler’s soul in our own home.
23. “Traveling tends to magnify all human emotions.” – Peter Hoeg
24. “The journey is my home.” – Muriel Rukeyser
This quote resonates with us and every other traveler who has found home, not in a specific place, but throughout the journey.
25. “Of all the books in the world. The best stories are found between the pages of a passport.” – Anonymous
Yes, they do! By flipping through our passports, the best memories, stories, and experiences will come to life again.
26. “We travel for romance, we travel for architecture, and we travel to be lost.” – Ray Bradbury
Adventure travel quotes for Instagram
Are you more into adventure travel posts and looking for an encouraging and badass caption to go with them? In this section, we will focus on these types of Instagram quotes.
27. “Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all.” – Helen Keller
This quote inspires us to live a life filled with adventure. What a better way to do this than joining one of our group tours to fascinating destinations throughout the world.
28. “We live in a wonderful world that is full of beauty, charm, and adventure. There is no end to the adventures we can have if only we seek them with our eyes open.” – Jawaharial Nehru
Let’s have our eyes wide open to take in the beauty that this world has to offer.
29. “You must go on adventures to find out where you truly belong.” – Sue Fitzmaurice
30. “Jobs fill your pocket, but adventures fill your soul.” – Jamie Lyn Beatty
Life was not meant to be 100% work and no play.
This quote, which is perfect for an adventure Instagram post about travel, motivates us to disrupt our routine and set off on adventures every once in a while. Those moments where we are free and enjoy life truly recharge us and give us joy.
They don’t even have to be about bungee jumping off a cliff, they can be about trying a new cuisine, getting lost in a new part of town or going to a trampoline park. You can have adventures near your home too.
Plus on our funny vacation memes we have plenty of jokes around how jobs are, for many of us travel addicted folk, the means to a life of travel.
31. “Wherever you go, go with all your heart!” – Confucius
This will determine the quality of your travel experiences. Always keep your mind and heart open for new adventures.
32. “If you’re twenty-two, physically fit, hungry to learn and be better, I urge you to travel – as far and as widely as possible. Sleep on floors if you have to. Find out how other people live and eat and cook. Learn from them – wherever you go.” – Anthony Bourdain
Another great piece of advice by Anthony Bourdain, inviting us to set off on adventures and choose to learn from the cultures we meet.
33. “Adventure should be part of everyone’s life. It is the whole difference between being fully alive and just existing.” – Holly Morris
Adventure is truly important in a person’s life, and what better way to adventure yourself than on a trip to a place you’ve never been.
34. “To awaken quite alone in a strange town is one of the most pleasant sensations in the world. You are surrounded by adventure.”– Freya Stark
This quote is for all the solo travelers out there! Traveling alone and discovering new places will make you feel like a kid all over again.
35. “Travel doesn’t become an adventure until you leave yourself behind.” – Marty Rubin
What an important thing to travel with an open mind and leave preconceived notions behind. Challenge stereotypes and let yourself be wrong about others and other places, what’s the worst that can happen?
Pro tip: Use this Instagram travel quote when you share pictures about places which surprised you.
36. “Adventure is worthwhile in itself.” – Amelia Earhart
Whether it’s a road trip near your hometown or going to safari in Tanzania, adventures are always worth it and will always teach you something.
37. “Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.” – Neale Donald Walsch
We agree! Dare to challenge yourself and get out of your comfort, it will surprise you how much you will learn about yourself and about life.
38. “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” – T. S. Eliot
Often, risks lead to great experiences.
39. “If you think adventure is dangerous, try routine. It is lethal.” – Paulo Coelho
This quote from acclaimed writer Paulo Coelho hits us right in the feels! Some of his books are international best-sellers and are worth a read.
Remind yourself of this sharp quote for Instagram next time you have to do something others think is crazy over what’s expected.
40. “Every hundred feet the world changes.” – Roberto Bolaño
Tell this to those living in Australia who can drive for hours before even crossing another state!
41. “Stuff your eyes with wonder, live as if you’d drop dead in ten seconds. See the world. It’s more fantastic than any dream made or paid for in factories.” – Ray Bradbury
We love this eccentric quote that urges us to see the world.
42. “I would rather own a little and see the world than own the world and see a little of it.” – Alexander Sattler
What would you prefer? Some of my best travel memories are those in which I shared a simple moment with someone I met on my travels, often doing something that didn’t cost anything.
You don’t have to splurge to see the world either. Most of us can save to travel by being smart about spending choices and prioritizing it over other less important things like expensive coffee, too many taxis and that extra drink.
43. “All you’ve got to do is decide to go and the hardest part is over.” – Tony Wheeler
44. “I always wonder why birds stay in the same place when they can fly anywhere on earth. Then I ask myself the same question.” – Harun Yahya
This quote is one of our favorites, it makes you think and opens up a world of possibilities.
45. “Adventure may hurt you but monotony will kill you.” – Marcus Purvis
Another quote about the dangers of a monotonous routine. If you’re afraid of setting off on an adventure, try to think what may go right instead of what may go wrong, we’re sure you won’t regret it!
46. “For my part, I travel not to go anywhere but to go. I travel for travel’s sake. The great affair is to move.” – Robert Louis Stevenson
We like this quote, it gives us a different approach to travel.
47. “There are no strangers in this world, only friends I haven’t met yet.” – William Butler Yeats
A big part of travel is the people you meet. There’s something about bonding with people abroad, which can transform into lifetime friendships.
48. “Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and think of what could go right.” – Anonymous
This is an Instagram travel quote you may have seen before and which encourages and reminds you to stay positive.
There may be bumps in the road during a trip, but it’s the complete experience that makes us learn, grow and make unforgettable memories. Don’t let rehashed travel myths take you away from the beauty of travel.
49. “All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.” – Martin Buber
Funny travel quotes for Instagram
Instagram can sometimes feel like a public journal but if you follow the right accounts, it can also be an entertaining place to be reminded to laugh, and these funny Instagram quotes prove that.
50. “Once the travel bug bites there is no known antidote, and I know that I shall be happily infected until the end of my life.” – Michael Palin
All travel lovers and addicts will identify themselves with this funny travel quote.
51. “I’ve been to almost as many places as my luggage.” – Bob Hope
52. “Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain.” – Jack Kerouac
So much truth in this quote. All we have to do is dare.
53. “Adventure, yeah. I guess that’s what you call it when everybody comes back alive.” – Mercedes Lackey
54. “In the past, when design students asked me for advice about getting into fashion, I would tell them to get a job in retail. Now I tell them to see the world.” – Donna Karan
This quote by fashion designer Donna Karan talks about the impact travel can have in your career.
55. “I feel about travel the way a happy new mother feels about her impossible, colicky, restless, newborn baby – I just don’t care what it puts me through. Because I adore it.” – Elizabeth Gilbert
The author of Eat, Pray, Love made us laugh with the way she expressed her love for travel.
56. “Traveling is like flirting with life. It’s like saying, ‘I would stay and love you, but I have to go; this is my station.’” – Lisa St. Aubin de Teran
57. “When preparing to travel, lay out all your clothes and all your money. Then take half the clothes and twice the money.” – Susan Heller Anderson
This is the best packing tip to travel light!
58. “Isn’t it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?” – Zig Ziglar
59. “A journey is like marriage. The certain way to be wrong is to think you control it.” – John Steinbeck
This one is a funny take on how travel is related to marriage, we just can’t have full control!
60. “I’m in love with cities I’ve never been to and people I’ve never met.” – John Green, Paper Towns
61. “Jet lag is for amateurs.” – Dick Clark
Real travelers dominate jet lag! There are useful travel apps that can help you overcome jet lag even before your departure.
62. “The best way to know a city is to eat it.” – Scott Westerfeld
63. “There is nothing safer than flying, it’s crashing that is dangerous.” – Theo Cowan
We hope a bit of humor doesn’t scare our first time flyers. Flying is one of the safest ways to travel and chances of crashing are virtually zero, according to studies.
64. “I travel a lot; I hate having my life disrupted by routine.” – Caskie Stinnett
Wise travel quotes for Instagram
Do you prefer your Instagram travel quotes to be smart, clever and downright wise? Here we have a few of those for you.
65. “People don’t take trips… trips take people.” – John Steinbeck
This is a good one. Trips end up taking our breaths away in many ways.
66. “The more I traveled the more I realized that fear makes strangers of people who should be friends.” – Shirley MacLaine
67. If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home.” – James Michener
So much wisdom packed in this quote, it reminds us of the importance of traveling with an open mind and open heart, to let travel truly contribute to our growth and perspective.
68. “With age, comes wisdom. With travel, comes understanding.” – Sandra Lake
69. “The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – Augustine of Hippo
We love this wise travel quote because it tells you how much we’ve got to lose if we don’t explore the world around us.
70. “To my mind, the greatest reward and luxury of travel is to be able to experience everyday things as if for the first time, to be in a position in which almost nothing is so familiar it is taken for granted.” – Bill Bryson
71. “To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.” – Aldous Huxley
Go see them for yourself!
72. “Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer.” – Unknown
Indeed! Travel makes you richer as a person in so many ways.
73. “A great way to learn about your country is to leave it.” – Henry Rollins
We learn a lot about our home when we travel, we learn to value some things and think of ways of solving others. Getting out of our country means leaving our comfort zone and known ways of seeing life, to enter into the unknown and gain knowledge and a fresh perspective.
74. “You don’t have to be rich to travel well.” – Eugene Fodor
75. “Wherever you go becomes a part of you somehow.” – Anita Desai
We believe every traveler can relate. All the places we visit and the happy moments we had will always take room in our hearts and become part of us.
76. “Don’t listen to what they say, go see.” – Chinese Proverb
Often, members of our community share about family and partners always having their own opinion about a place they want to visit, and frequently they are negative opinions.
But don’t let external negative opinions influence your decision! There’s nothing that beats discovering a place and seeing it with your own eyes. It doesn’t matter what others tell you, if your heart tells you to go, buy that ticket, pack your bags and go!
77. “Our happiest moments as tourists always seem to come when we stumble upon one thing while in pursuit of something else.” – Lawrence Block
It’s the unexpected that brings magical moments during our travels.
78. “It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end.” – Ernest Hemingway
We agree with famous author Ernest Hemingway, valuable lessons come from the journey itself.
79. “Own only what you can always carry with you: known languages, known countries, known people. Let your memory be your travel bag.” – Alexandr Solzhenitsyn
We love this one! It reminds us of the truly important things when traveling, which are not souvenirs or any material objects, but the memories we keep, the cultures we know and the connections we make with people.
80. “Don’t tell me how educated you are, tell me how much you traveled.” – Prophet Mohammed
This quote is deep. Sometimes, it matters most the experiences you’ve had in other places than your career or your job specifications. Travelers have the most interesting conversations and great travel stories to share.
81. “Stop worrying about the potholes in the road and enjoy the journey.” – Babs Hoffman
In travel, like in life, nothing is perfect and some things may not go as expected. But this quote talks about enjoying ourselves despite the little obstacles that come our way. After all, it is the mix of all during a trip that makes us learn and grow as individuals.
82. “Traveling; it leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller.” – Ibn Battuta
This one goes hand in hand with the previous quote. Travel gives you material for unique conversations and stories, which can enrich the lives of those around you.
83. “Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.” – David McCullough
This quote confronts us to take the spotlight off ourselves while we travel, and really appreciate what’s in front of us.
84. “Nothing develops intelligence like travel.” – Émile Zola
Pure wisdom by recognized French novelist Émile Zola.
85. “There ain’t no surer way to find out whether you like people or hate them than to travel with them.” – Mark Twain
This is 100% true! If you really want to get to know somebody, be his/her travel buddy once. That will be enough.
86. “I’ve learned that the most meaningful kind of travel doesn’t only close geographic distances between people, it brings them closer in other ways, too.” – Melinda Gates
Melinda Gates, chair and trustee of the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, shared how travel makes people close in this beautiful quote.
87. “Traveling the world brings you the profound insight that as different as appearances, tastes, dresses, music, and cultures may be across the globe, people are the same.” – Deepak Chopra
This is an extraordinary quote by author Deepak Chopra, which reflects on how travel shows us that we have more in common with people, than those things that bring us apart.
88. “If you wish to travel far and fast, travel light. Take off all your envies, jealousies, unforgiveness, selfishness and fears.” – Cesare Pavese
Travel light doesn’t refer to physical luggage only. Traveling with a light emotional baggage is extremely important to enjoy the experience. Leave negative thoughts behind and make room for new ways of seeing places and life.
89. “The gladdest moment in human life is a departure into unknown lands.” – Sir Richard Burton
90. “A traveler without observation is a bird without wings.” – Moslih Eddin Saadi
True. To really live the travel experience, we have to observe and get to know the local culture.
91. “When you travel, remember that a foreign country is not designed to make you comfortable. It is designed to make its own people comfortable.” – Clifton Fadiman
This is a crucial thing to take into account when traveling. Sometimes we want the place to adapt to our needs, and we forget it was created for its own people with different cultures, customs and needs.
92. “And remember, you don’t have to do anything; this is your trip and there is nothing you have to do just because you’re worried people will say “What! You were in that city and didn’t go to that monument?” It’s perfectly fine not to fit the mold. This is not anyone else’s trip, it is YOUR trip.” – Mar Pages
A wise advice by our Co-Founder Mar that we really love. We are all different and it’s perfectly fine to tailor your trip itinerary just the way you like!
93. “The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.” – Marcel Proust
Pure wisdom about the real value of travel.
94. “A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving.” – Lao Tzu
This quote is all about being spontaneous while enjoying the journey. Sometimes, it’s not about the destination itself, but about the experiences and connections you have on the way to it.
95. “Travel – the best way to be lost and found at the same time.” – Brenna Smith
96. “Traveling allows you to become so many different versions of yourself.” – Unknown
This one is so true! When we go on a trip, there’s a certain freedom of being in a totally new place where nobody knows who you are. You are allowed to experiment and discover yourself throughout the journey.
97. “Once you have traveled, the voyage never ends, but is played out over and over again in the quietest chambers. The mind can never break off from the journey.” – Pat Conroy
98. “Travel isn’t always pretty. It isn’t always comfortable. Sometimes it hurts, it even breaks your heart. But that’s okay. The journey changes you; it should change you. It leaves marks on your memory, on your consciousness, on your heart, and on your body. You take something with you. Hopefully, you leave something good behind.” – Anthony Bourdain
Another wisely put quote by the beloved American chef and author. We love how he deeply expressed his feelings about travel.
99. “If we travel simply to indulge ourselves we are missing some of the greatest lessons life has to offer.” – Unknown
Travel gives us so much more besides our personal satisfaction and wanderlust. This quote is deep and reflects what we can learn from a genuine travel experience, like empathy, knowledge of other cultures, understanding new ways of thinking, making meaningful connections, even making a positive impact when traveling sustainably.
100. “A wise traveler never despises his own country.” – Carlo Goldoni
Now you got inspiration and the boost of confidence you needed, let the adventure begin!
Don’t forget to check out our Short travel captions and Travel captions to pair with your amazing travel photos!